Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Cumberland Falls

Memorial Day Weekend was absolutely gorgeous here in Kentucky. We were so glad because we had scheduled a camping trip with our good friends, the Klienmans. We decided at the last minute to go to Cumberland Falls. We had been their once before when Hannah was two. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to go back and take the girls to see the "Niagra of the South" before we move. We were not disappointed. We were very lucky to get a great campsite at the last minute. Robert's mom and grandparents just happened to be down that way doing some genealogy and were able to go Friday morning and find us a "primitive" campsite. I am so glad we got that one because we had some space to ourselves.

Their are a couple things you should know about our family and camping:

1. We bring tons of stuff! It is a good thing we have a very large truck because I honestly don't know how we would get everything in a car. We have tons of equipment and like to be comfortable.

2. More importantly we like to eat well while we are camping. Robert is a master camp cook (he learned it from his mother) and I am a master cook in training. We love to Dutch oven. We cook everything from cornish game hens to lasagna to cherry cobbler in that thing! During this trip we ate steak (thanks Klienman family), cornish game hens, chili, cobbler, pancakes, eggs, bacon and more mmmmm. The only reason Robert lets us roast hot dogs is that the girls love to do it!

and 3. Our children love to go potty in nature. Every time I turn around one of them is squatting!


There is always a rainbow at the base of the falls. I was able to capture it on film in what turned out to be a very pretty picture. Near the visitor's center there were several outlooks were you could stop and take pictures and take in the glorious falls. They were amazing.


On Saturday after a scrumptious breakfast of pancakes and sausage, we headed out to look at the falls. We packed a lunch and headed on a hike to another set of falls called Eagle Falls. Winnie was so excited to see the waterfalls and would tell everybody that she was going to "take a shower" in the waterfall. I was afraid she was going to be disappointed.


We really enjoyed the short hike and even scaled some rocks to get behind the waterfall.
The funnest part of that day was the hours we spent playing in our own private frog infested lagoon! Winnie and Emma decided to go skinny dipping enjoyed capturing and torturing frogs.
Robert, Jarl and Hannah only went topless. Sophie, Kari and I opted to remain fully clothed! I was just really grateful Winnie got to take a shower in the waterfall.



We just had a really relaxing time camping, enjoying our friends and nature. It reminded me of what is really important and was a good way to spend one of our last weekends here in the bluegrass state.

7 comments:

Ryan and Ashley said...

I never realized how beautiful that place is! I am jealous and sad that we couldn't take you up on your offer and accompany you! You are the best and I am going to miss you A LOT! AHECK (I know that is not spelled correctly--but hey, you know what I mean) in Alaska!!!

princess jen said...

What a fun time! It is so beautiful there. You will have so much fun finding wonderful, beautiful places up in AK too. Did you end up buying the home by Jen?

Carolyn Townsend said...

Hey nice pictures. That looks like a lot of fun. I wish I could do stuff like that. It is just way to cold to go skinny dipping here:)

Love you guys

The Alaska DeKays said...

Jen--We did not buy the house by Jennifer--a little out of our price range! We hope to find the perfect home when we move up there in less than a month!

Rob and Heather said...

Cumberland Falls. Oh there are so many beautiful things about Kentucky huh. sounds like your getting everything ready for the big move. You'll have to get to know my sister Kaye Tuia. Not sure what ward she lives in. I'll have to find out.

victoria said...

What a fabulous vacation! I'm jealous of all the gorgeous places you guys hike to. I'm inspired - gotta do more hiking and camping!

Jennifer Bundy said...

So pretty and so fun! Just the kind of thing that I miss when we are up here! I know there is lots of beautiful places, but not very often could you go and play in the water like that- you would freeze! Too much glacier melt! Remember Crow Creek? BRRRRR!