Sunday, January 30, 2011

January Favorites

Skiing. I have a great set of girlfriends--strong, inspiring, happy women that I love being around. They introduced me to x-country skiing this month and I have to say that I am hooked. I decided that I really needed an outlet and thought skiing might be it. So far it has been rather icy, but I really love it. I have even snuck out by myself a few times. I love the exercise, the scenery, the company and the solitude. I feel great when I am done and am so glad for another way to enjoy Alaska's beauty.

My husband. OK he really is a favorite of mine everyday but this month especially because we celebrated his birthday and we are officially the same age again! This man is amazing. I remember thinking when we were engaged that he was absolutely perfect and how did I get so lucky. Well over the the past 11+ years I have found out he does have some minor flaws, but I still feel like the luckiest woman alive everyday. This month he has been doing a lot of cooking which has been scrumptious. Can I just say Halibut with a lemon caper sauce and Salmon teiryaki burgers with ginger?

Kleenex with lotion and Boogie Wipes. This may give you a clue as to what our month has been like. We have all been nursing terrible colds. I currently have the worst cold I have had in years. It just hangs on and on. Hannah missed a week of school! I just love Kleenex with a lotion in it. So soft on the nose so you are not raw and sore. I just discovered Boogie Wipes for Bobby and I am hooked. They are damp, disposable clothes for babies noses. They are different than regular bottom wipes because they are made with saline and have a moisturizer in them. They magically wipe of crusted on boogies and and don't leave raw noses. Love them!

80's Day. Hannah's and Winnie's school hosted 80's day this month. I had a great time dressing the girls up and big baggy shirts, leggings and side ponytails. We even crimped Hannah's long hair. Both girls got blue eyeshadow up the the eyebrows and pink lipstick. Winnie made me laugh when I was doing her hair. She said, "Mom, why are you making me look all pretty what people in the olden days were all ugly and didn't wear makeup and stuff?" OK. I explained that the 80's were when I was I little girl not when Laura Ingalls Wilder was. One in the same in her mind.

Settlers of Catan. A great board game. We played it a couple of years ago with some great friends and had talked about it often since then. For Christmas I decided to get it for Robert along with the expansion set. Imagine my surprise when I opened up the Seafarers expansion on Christmas morning. Robert had been trying to order it for me using my Amazon account and realized I had ordered it for him! So he decided to get me the Seafarers expansion. Since Christmas we have played this game dozens of time with friends, family and just together. I love it because we can play just the two of us and often do after we put the kids to bed.

Prison Break. Another thing we do after we put the kids to bed. OK. How did I miss this show when it was airing? I think I was to busy watching "Lost". Amazing and addictive. We have spent many nights up way too late watching episode after episode. Warning: this show is addictive and not entirely uplifting, but a guilty pleasure indeed.

Susitna River Lodging. My new home away from home. We spent a reunion weekend there in Talkeetna this month with great friends and I told Robert this had ruined me for Forest Service Cabins forever. Real beds, warm showers and a loft. We could walk out the door and go snow machining, but no camping! The best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. I also found out that Talkeetna has some great little restaurants.


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Whoo Hoo! I am glad to have a skiing buddy! I love it too. I think about skiing all the time. And Prison Break...OK maybe I only think about Michael Scofield all the time... Maybe Michael Scofield should go skiing with us, then it would be the best!