Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Camping Food Ideas

Many of you know that I am married to a camping gourmand. I must say that some of it has rubbed off on me. I am no longer satisfied with hot dogs for every meal. We like to eat well while "roughing it".

What do you like to cook while camping? Fire cooking, dutch ovens, camp stoves? I am looking for cooking ideas for this summer. We have several trips planned and I want to impress my husband (very hard to do).




This is a cherry chocolate dessert from our most recent outing. MMMMMMM. The girls and I gave it a 10 out of 10. Robert, a.k.a. food snob, gave it a 7!

Recipe

2 c. of cherry pie filling dumped in bottom
1 choc cake mix (mixed acording to instructions on box) goes on top

cooked about 40 minutes 2/3 heat on top 1/3 on bottom

serve with vanilla instant pudding on top. Yummy.

6 comments:

victoria said...

Those pictures just ruined my diet. Yum. It's been so long since we've camped. You're an inspiration!

Sarah and Chris said...

That looks really good Bethany. I am hoping that next summer we get to do some camping and when that happens I need to get a dutch oven so I can make tasty things like that! And foil... I never have foil.

Ryan and Ashley said...

YUM! That dessert looks good and I don't even like dessert! You should ask Heather Weston for some recipes. I remember when we went to camp, she had a boat load of camp fire/dutch oven recipes.

Nicole said...

OK I just caught up on the Dekay's. I loved the Portage picture! Those icebergs in the lake are amazing! And the wedding looked good but I have no ideas for camping food. I am afraid I love hotdogs on a stick and marshmallows. I could live of them. I bought a book so that we can eat well when we go to Valdez but I have to figure out where I put it!

Laura said...

I have some GREAT dutch oven recipes passed on from my dad. For us the only reason to go camping is the dutch oven cooking! :) :) I'll email you what I can find!

Mower Family said...

We discovered adding a cherry coke on top of the cake and it turns out fabulous!